Welcome to Anderson Entertainment

Anderson Entertainment:
"A MOVEMENT IS NOT A MOVEMENT WITHOUT MOVEMENT."

Friday, June 18, 2010

Thank Me Later... Review

In modern Hip Hop, it's rare for all "sub-cultures" to agree. When the youngsters like something, it's a safe bet that the older fans despise it. When the backpackers latch on to an artist, you can count on the "mainstream" ignoring that artist. There have been very few consensus "bangers".
Along came Drake.
In a short time, Drake has captured the world's attention. His squeaky clean image, easy to recite hooks, and clever wordplay have propelled him to superstar status- making him the most sought after MC in the game. Mixtapes, Collabo's, and Leaks had the world salivating, waiting to hear his freshman release, "Thank Me Later". Choosing to be tight-lipped about the guest appearances, track listing, and (at times) the release date- Drake raised the anticipation level to unfathomable heights. Could "Thank Me Later" live up to the hype??
I synched my iphone to my laptop, and one track at a time- I saw Drake's debut loading. I was excited.
"Okay, "Over"... I heard that one before," I thought.
"Find Your Love", I saw that video...,"
"The joint with Wayne, I heard on XM,"
Damn, I had already heard damn near the whole album before it even came out! But, I was still excited to hear the joints I hadn't heard. So, I threw on my headset and set out on my morning jog- Drake serving as the soundtrack.
"Fireworks" (the album's intro) is a wonderful song. Flat out. The beat is perfect, with the sound of fireworks embedded in the background. The track exudes a dramatic feel, as Drake talks about the highs and lows of success and money. Alicia Keyes' voice is amazing (as always) on the hook. The second verse is interesting. Drake expounds about a romantic incident with a certain celebrity (now revealed to be Rhianna) that left him heartbroken. Heartbreak? That's pretty bold subject matter for a rapper...
"That was dope," I thought as I prepared to hear Drizzy Drake put the emotions aside and start SPITTING.
To my dismay, the next song "Karaoke", was more vulnerability and singing. This time with himself on the hook. I hit skip. Then the singing started again on the next song. I hit skip again. Then "Over" came on, and seeing as to how I already know that song by heart, I skipped again. By this time, I was pissed. I couldn't even jog right.
The next day, I decided to give Drake one more try. I put on my headset again. I laced up my running shoes. I pressed play, vowing to not skip any tracks.
Three miles later, I'd listened to the whole album (I jog slow). Out of breath, I mumbled to myself: "This album is dope as shit!"
The singing that I had dismissed the day before started to make sense to me. Tracks like "Resistance", "Fancy" and "Light Up" demonstrated his lyrical dexterity- while "Shut it Down" showed that the cat can definitely write a song. The aforementioned "Light Up" finds Jay Z giving Drake a rundown of the pitfalls and traps he will encounter being the "it" guy in Hip Hop. Young Jeezy provides the one-liner of the year on "Unforgettable", when he says "I don everything to do in the 'A', except fuck Chili". Wow. Nicki Minaj merked "Up All Night" ("...on a diet but I'm doing DONUTS in a 6 speed.."), and Wayne's verse on "Miss Me" is full of quotables. The album's culmination, "Thank Me Now" is probably my favorite track. On it, Drake spits heat about a variety of topics. The comparison between sports and entertainment is profound.
Throughout the album, Drake mixes his charm and humor with his undeniable ability to spit witty shit. His use of the "like-less simile" (..."I could bring her around and shut em down...Onyx") has even veteran rappers biting his style. It is apparent that Drake will be around for a while, and that this album will be one of the year's best. The funny thing about it is that I would've never known if I hadn't put my preconceived notions of dopeness aside, stopped hating- and just listened.

The Verdict: He sings. Get over it. Prepare to be pissed because your girlfriend won't stop playing this CD. Solid debut disc.
4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment: