Welcome to Anderson Entertainment

Anderson Entertainment:
"A MOVEMENT IS NOT A MOVEMENT WITHOUT MOVEMENT."

Monday, June 21, 2010

Toy Story 3... Review

Toy Story is one of my favorite movies of all time. I said it. I'm not afraid to admit it. How can you not enjoy hearing "You've got a friend in me".. (By the way, "You've Got a Friend in Me" is a great setup for a 'that's what she said' joke).. Anyway, Toy Story 2 was good- very good. Could Pixar be one of the only movie franchises in history to 3-peat? Or would Toy Story 3 disappoint me the way the newest Shrek movie did?
Well, let me first hop on my soapbox:
I have nieces and nephews. I have a god-daughter. I have students. They all watch "family" movies and are able to quote them verbatim. They laugh at the jokes written in these movies. They understand the humor. With that being said, I HATE when animated movies that are billed to be kids' movies incorporate humor that is not age appropriate. Regardless how funny Pinocchio in a thong may be to me, I don't want my 6 year old nephew laughing at it. Period. I understand why the writers include the "adult" humor. After all, the adults are paying for the tickets and sitting in the theaters too. They need to be somewhat entertained.
It takes a very skilled filmmaker to make a movie that will entertain the ENTIRE family simultaneously. If the 6 year old can chuckle, while the 10 year old laughs, while the 15 year old cracks an occasional smile, while the Mother is not bored out of her mind.. you've got yourself a good FAMILY movie.
Toy Story 3 is a great movie because it successfully entertains all- without selling its moral soul.
The beloved toys, 'Woody' (Tom Hanks), 'Buzz' (Tim Allen), 'Jesse' (Joan Cusack), Mr. Potato Head (Don Rickles), and others are faced with the fact that Andy (thier owner) is all grown up and heading off to college. They are quickly realizing that thier days of being played with are over, as they will either be donated or thrown away. After a series of mishaps, they embark on an adventure that eventually changes their entire outlook on friendship, loyalty and their positions in the lives of human beings. (I could get really analytical about the metaphoric meaning of this plot in relation to our own mortality- but I will save that for my review of the next M. Night Shyamalan movie).
The story is funny, touching, and highly engaging. I found myself literally at the edge of my seat. (partially because I went to see it at the theater on Panola and Convington, and my seatback was really squeaky)- mainly because the animation of the action sequences was on point. Double crossings, cliff hangers, near death experiences- Toy Story 3 has it all-- all while staying in its lane as a FAMILY MOVIE. Aside from the Ken doll's blatant homosexuality, there was only one joke that could be perceived as "adult humor"... ("Nobody takes my wife's mouth but me!!", courtesy of Mr. Potato Head).
I left this movie hoping that Pixar makes a Toy Story 4. (after they wait another 5 years, of course)

Verdict: Parents, you won't mind sitting in on this one. This movie really made me want to go back to my Mother's house and play with my old toys.... Go see it, then buy the DVD when it comes out. It's worth it.

3 1/2 out of 5 stars (would be 4 stars, but it was really, really short).

Speaking of "short"..one more thing, if you show up late for the movie, you are going to miss one of the best "shorts" Pixar has ever made. After the previews, there is an animated piece called "Night and Day".. Very well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment